Should I ever decide to pursue the option of becoming a Professional Photographer and try to setup a business I would need to identify and produce the following items :-
- A Mission Statement
- The Product
- The Market – Who are your customers and who are the competitors? Photography is a constantly changing cut-throat industry
- Management Requirements – If employing others
- A Financial Plan – How much will I need to setup the business, find customers, create the product, market the business and still have enough to live on
- Insurance – will need some or all of these – Public Liability, Personal Indemnity, Employers Liability, Equipment, Portfolio and Goods In Trust.
Then I need to consider :-
- How much will I need to survive?
- How much will the business need to run successfully?
- How much income will the business potentially generate?
Without even pausing such things as operations costs, bank management costs, accountants and sales and marketing or agents fees this is a very daunting proposition.
At this point I think its again necessary to ask the question – is this really what I want? I’m afraid that I once again have to state that the answer to the question is no – its not what I want at all.
From a personal point of view I would be happy just to complete the MA with a good, well thought out and executed Final Major Project, with the possible;e bonus of a self published book and a small exhibition as the final result. I think that will be enough for me.